Meal Prep: Chicken Tenders with Fresh Basil & Tomatoes
Healthy cooking should be simple. I'm convinced of this. However, the pitfalls of healthy cooking are: the cost of high quality food, repetition of healthy recipes (boring!) and the seemingly endless amount of planning time required. That's why I have been trying to create recipes that are simple, affordable and versatile. This one is a winner I am happy to share!
This simple recipe requires seasonings, fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden at home, extra virgin olive oil cooking spray (or EVOO straight from the bottle) and chicken tenders. The most expensive item on the list is the chicken. Look for sales or buy in bulk and freeze. Tip: I choose chicken breast tenders over full chicken breasts because I can prepare the meat very quickly since only minimal chopping is required. You can absolutely buy breasts and use in this recipe as well.
The beauty of this meal is that the chicken is very versatile and can be paired with almost anything. The tomatoes & olive oil add a small amount of liquid to the dish without requiring a sauce. The meat is so well seasoned, that you could very easily serve this chicken on top of a small amount of healthy protein-packed pasta (I love Barilla Plus) with a side of steamed broccoli for a simple, but well balanced, meal. I can cook this ahead of time and use this pound of meat in 4 different meals for myself. Tip: bite size pieces cook quickly, reheat quickly and can easily be integrated into multiple dishes.
- 1 Package (about 1 lb) Organic, Range-Free Chicken Breast Tenders
- Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend
- Fresh Basil - about 5-6 big leaves
- 1 Small Tomato
- Red pepper flake - to taste (I like it spicy!)
- Fresh cracked pepper - to taste
- EVOO Cooking Spray or 1 tablespoon of EVOO
- Lightly cover pan with cooking spray
- Cut tenders into even-size small pieces
- Season with Mrs. Dash and fresh cracked pepper, then mix gently by hand so all the chicken is well-seasoned
- Drop into a pan pre-heated on medium and let cook for about 2 minutes
- While cooking, chop basil and tomatoes
- Turn chicken pieces over once one side has cooked
- Add tomatoes, red pepper flake and basil
- Finish cooking in a stir-fry fashion until the meat is cooked through (shouldn't take too long for small pieces)
Store in an air-tight container or enjoy immediately with steamed broccoli, pasta, brown rice, or on a whole grain tortilla with avocado slices and fresh salsa.